Sunday, February 20, 2011

Will the USAFA administer the adult polio dose and tuberculosis test if I can't get it myself


Will the USAFA administer the adult polio dose and tuberculosis test if I can't get it myself?
Hi, I'll be attending the USAFA this year. However, I'll be heading to Europe for vacation soon and I may not be able to get these two medical requirements prior to inprocessing. I already have all the other immunization requirements. Just these two are missing. So my question is: Do I absolutely have to get these requirements myself or will the USAFA just administer them to me when I get inprocessed? Thank you
Military - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yes, you'll get immunizations when you in-process; however, if a vacation is more important than your military career, perhaps you should rethink the academy.
2 :
Personally when I read "requirements" it says that if you do not have these then you will not be attending and I can understand why. A few years back there was an outbreak of inactive TB because someone wasn't tested properly and brought active TB back to the Academy. Something like 100-200 cadets (myself included) had to be on pills for around 9 months to make sure that the illness was kept at bay. You can imagine how much time and money that cost the Air Force to have medical personnel administering the tests and buying and distributing the medications. All because one person didn't properly fulfill the requirements before attending. All that being said... if you show up and tell them that you didn't get the stuff done then they will likely administer it when you get there. You will walk down a line and probably get 6 or so vaccinations anyway on your first day and they'll review your medical record. Just make sure that you let them know if you were actually unable to get the treatments, but if I were you I would make every effort to do so prior to inprocessing.
3 :
How soon is soon? If you have at least 48 hours, call your local health department and see if you can get in for the TB test and polio shot. You will have to return in 48-72 hours for the TB read. Then you will be done with your requirements and can go on your vacation. If this does not work, your best option is to call the USAFA health clinic or inprocessing department and ask them your question



 Read more discussions :