Tuesday, June 28, 2011

what do they do when they test you for tuberculosis


what do they do when they test you for tuberculosis?
do they inject you with something or what? i have to get one for a program i am going in to...does it hurt? i need serious answers please. thanks!
Infectious Diseases - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I had to get one for my internship at Kaiser. They give you a subcutaneous shot which is in your forearm. its a tiny needle that goes in the top layer of your skin and they inject the fluid and your skin gets a little bubble. It feels like a regular shot, just in your forearm. The bad part is that it leaves a mark for a week or so but eventually goes away.
2 :
Honestly, I have had about 4 of these for various positions. It's so on the surface, I usually can barely feel the needle. It will make a small rasied bump that will go away. Sometimes, it can itch, but you aren't supposed to scratch it, so the serum can do its thing. (And infection doesn't happen, it is somewhat of an open wound). The actual shot is super fast and you go back in 48 hours to have it "read." Generally, it's not that bad (at least I think so, and I hate needles!!!) Hope it helps!
3 :
Hi Kirsten, When I worked at group homes, homeless shelters, and the hospital, I had to do it. It is kind of freaky when they first inject the fluid under your skin. they don't always explain that it is normal for it to puff up like there is a bubble under your skin, and the first time I was positive that meant I had TB!!!! Anyway, usually the next day it goes down and just looks like a red spot which may or may not be lumpy. The next day, when you can go to any health clinic or hospital and have the results read, which means a nurse looks at it, it will not be bothering you at all. I hope you are going to a good program or nursing internship. Hope that helps. Post again if your skin reaction is freaking you out. It seems that most of us have had it done before, so you will get great responses



 Read more discussions :