Monday, December 20, 2010

My roommate is HIV+ and has tuberculosis... How does this effect me


My roommate is HIV+ and has tuberculosis... How does this effect me?
I'm nervous... I dont think its possible for me to catch his HIV, but I'm more concerned about the tuberculosis, because I dont know what it is.
STDs - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
not sure what it is but i know its contagious dont share drinks or anything cause u can get it with his saliva
2 :
I'd be concerned about the TB more than the HIV too. However, since there are different strains, I'd advise you to contact your local health authorities for advice. You can often find them in the blue page sof the phone book or simply call a doctor's office, hospital or public library to find such a contact.
3 :
There is a likelihood of you catching TB. The method of catching it is through cough droplets, and you need to be in constant contact with the person. So if you have alot of contact with this person just Take care.
4 :
The HIV is not an issue on its own. The tuberculosis on the other hand is extremely contagious and is a airborne disease. If he does have a active TB infection he needs to go to a hospital. TB is nothing to joke around with. Also----- TB has to be active in order for it to be infectious. I was exposed years ago and to this day I will test positive for TB even though I do not have a active infection. A chest X-ray is how they diagonis a active TB infection. I hope this helps -Dan EMT
5 :
Get checked for TB,-- simple skin test (or blood test in some cases) is done; and, sometimes person might need a chest x-ray to r/o posibility of active pulmonary TB. If you were just exposed to active TB/ got infected, you DON'T have a TB disease yet and you are not infectious or danger to others. It changes when you get sick/develop active TB (depending on form). Your physician may offer a preventative treatment to kill TB bacteria in your body; that treatment is free in many states.
6 :
Unless you are having unprotected sex with him, there is no rik for HIV. You need to consult a Doctor about the TB as I would think there is a high risk there.
7 :
You need to (1) tell your roomate to get treatment for the TB as soon as possiable, I had tb back in 1998 it is highly contagious and you should avoid being around your roommate immeadiatlly. TB can become dormat with medication therefore making it non contagious, if your roommate refuses to seek treatment you need to contact your local health department and inform them of his or her status. It is illegal to knowinglly putting others at risk without informing them. In 2006 I found out that I was hiv+ and am extremlly carefull not to infect others and if your roomie takes precautions as to not infecting others there should not be any worries about catching HIV from them
8 :
You need to find out if it is latent (not contagious) or active (contagious). Active TB is such a big deal that probably the health department would have contacted you by now if you were exposed to it, but it is best not to assume that. Either way you should get a TB test, even if he is not contagious, because as a member of his household it is possible that whoever exposed him might have exposed you



 Read more discussions :